RUSS HOBBS MINISTRIES
“WHY DO WE HURT THE PEOPLE WE LOVE?”
Why do we seem to hurt the people that we say we love the most? We often tend to rip the ones who bare their heart and soul to us everyday. WE hurt family and friends who have stood with us for years supporting our dreams, whims and adventures!
“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” The “heart” includes the mind and all that proceeds from it. Someone said that every sin we commit, we commit twice, once in our thoughts and again when we act upon those thoughts. It is easier to rid our lives of sin if we attack it at this fundamental thought level rather than waiting for it to become rooted in our lives by our actions and then try to pull it out.
How can we honestly be a more thoughtful, loving and honest person today? WE are NOT perfect people. WE ALL mess up in a multitude of ways that are different from the person sitting next to us. But, WE ALL mess up! Accept that fact neighbor and live with it! How can we do better today?
I believe that you and I should..
1. Be in God’s Word and apply what we study and learn to our lives!
2. Live in dependence upon the Holy Spirit, chiefly through seeking His strength through prayer (Matthew 26:41). If we rely upon our own strength, we will fail (Proverbs 28:26;Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 26:33).
3. We are not to feed our minds with garbage that which will promote destructive thoughts and actions. This is the idea of Proverbs 4:23. We are to guard our hearts—what we allow into them and what we allow them to dwell upon.
4. We are to pursue God, replacing ugly thoughts with godly pursuits and mindsets. This is the principle of replacement. When tempted to hate someone, we replace those hateful thoughts with godly actions: we do good to them, speak well of them, and pray for them (Matthew 5:44).
5. We can use fellowship with other Christians the way God intended. Hebrews 10:24-25 states, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
Last and most important, these methods will be of no value unless we have placed our faith in Christ as Savior from our sin. This is where we absolutely must start! Without this, there can be no victory over sinful thoughts and temptations!
How do you hurt the people that you love?